Sunday, January 24, 2010

Deadpool Popularity

Since opening 1up Collectibles back in November I have been amazed and puzzled by the popularity of Marvel Comics Deadpool character. From the start of our fist subscription to our latest there is one common character that 90% of our subscribers have in common, Deadpool.
I have asked everyone the same two questions "Why do you like Deadpool? and what is it about Deadpool you like?" The common answers I seem to get are,

• He is just cool.

• He is so funny and just doesn't give a shit.

• I don't know what it is but I like him

Unfortunately, with answers like these I have been unable to figure out the recent popularity of this character. My first hypothesis was that most of the people where simply jumping on the hype wagon from the X-Men Wolverine Origins movie but this definitely is not the case. Most people that I have asked do not like this movie little alone the Deadpool character played by Ryan Reynolds. With that being said most are eagerly awaiting the Deadpool Movie with Ryan Reynolds providing he will be allowed to play bother Deadpool and Hal Jordan the Green Lantern.

This past Sunday I had the most interesting guest, Kevin from Geek Speak stop in the shop on Sunday and we had a lot of really good dialogue about many things ranging from Bowen Statues - Video Games. I remember making the statement that when I was growing up the craze was all about wolverine. Kevin made the statement that the reason he feels that Deadpool is such a huge success is that readers are seeing Deadpool as a amalgam of the edgy Wolverine comics of the late 80’s early 90’s and Spider-man.

This past Wednesday, new comic book day I asked one of my customers who subscribes to “EVERY” Deadpool title what he felt about Kevin’s thought on his favorite Marvel Comics character. His response was that of somewhat uncertainty but he also added to it the statement by saying, “I think it’s more than that. People like the fact that Deadpool knows he is a comic book character and the writers have done a great job breaking down that proverbial fourth wall.” Whatever the answer is I am still uncertain but it would seem that this character is here to stay as a part of our pop culture.

"We're fighting Doom, no one told me that. I want my lawyer, I want my mommy... I want my lawyer’s mommy.” Deadpool – Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

No comments:

Post a Comment